Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Let Me In

Sorry for not updating lately, there has been some trouble with my computer that I just got fixed, so I have had no access to the internet for the past few days. Now for todays review: Let Me In, I know I promised a review of The Social Network, but unfortunately the one in my group that was supposed to get the tickets forgot, so by the time we got there it was already sold out and the only movie going any time soon was Let Me In.



Honestly I am a bit happy The Social Network was sold out, if it hadn't been I probably would have had no desire to see this movie and never would have gone; which would have been a big loss on my part because this was a very good movie. It is an American remake of the Swedish film Let the Right One In, which is based on the book of the same name, I have been told that the Swedish version of the movie is much better than this by some people, and a few have told me the opposite; but I have never seen the Swedish version or read the book so I couldn't tell you which is better.

This movie stars Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit-McPhee and both did very well with the rather adult roles they were given in the movie, Chloe plays Abby the vampire that needs to kill to survive, and Kodi plays a child that has been bullied mercilessly by a group of bigger children at his school and he fantasizes about getting revenge on them. These two were very compelling together and were able to play their roles very well, though I think Chloe outshines Kodi if only for the fact that she is able to pull off her vampiric monster looks so well, then switch back to a sweet little girl.

The adults in this movie don't seem to have much depth to their character which is a bit of a flaw with this movie, though there is one notable exception with Richard Jenkins who plays Abby's guardian and takes care of her need for blood by finding and killing people and draining them of their blood. He does really well in this movie, which is unsurprising considering that he has done well in all the roles I have seen him in.

Overall I would say that this movie was done well, and since I don't have the any preconceived notions about what it should be based off the originals I say it is well worth the time and money to see, of course I would love to hear what anyone that has seen this movie thinks, especially if they have also seen the original or read the book and would like to say how this measures up against them.

4 comments:

  1. Nice review, although i am not a fan of these kinds of movies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably better to wait and donwload the social network, its good but not worth it to go watch at the theatres

    ReplyDelete